|Much of Mallard Grange has been here for five centuries and has seen its fair share of history. Little is known about the people who lived here before 1600 but in 1640 it was in the possession of a John Smith, who was a Royalist in the Civil War. In 1717 it passed to Abraham Smith, a spendthrift who squandered his inheritance and was the last of the Smith family to live at Mallard Grange. He died in 1739 in York debtors prison during the time the famous highwayman, Dick Turpin, was imprisoned there. In 1741 Mallard Grange was sold to William Aislabie, the flamboyant owner of Fountains Abbey and mastermind of the magnificent formal gardens at Studley Royal.
The farmhouse bears evidence of change over the centuries, such as the window tax in the 18th century, which resulted in a reduction in the number of windows, as can be seen at the front of the house.
The Johnson family have farmed Mallard Grange since 1933 and today the farmhouse is a much loved home to Charles and Maggie Johnson and their two sons.
If only walls could talk!